1. What is One People One Planet: 6 Universal Truths for Being Happy Together about and why did you write it?
One People One Planet addresses the epidemics of despair and incivility in our country. It offers six proven principles that make a difference in real time. If we engage in one of more of them, today, we will be happier today. If we practice them over time, it will raise our mental and physical states to a happier, healthier, and more civil level. I wrote the book because I work with many high school and college age students who suffer from anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts.
2. Our planet and country seem so divided right now. How can we be happy together when there is such division, especially political division?
Ancient wisdom and modern science clearly show that following the six principles in the book can unit diverse groups of people over time. They promote joyful and civil behavior.
3. Can you share a time in your life when you were not happy. What was going on and how did you handle it?
At one point in my life, my main business was declining. I had several prominent investors counting on me, to not only turn the business around, but to create significant value for their investment. It was a tough year, but we succeeded, primarily by practicing the universal principles in the book. We ended up selling the company to a publicly traded business in Toronto and everyone was thrilled.
4. What advice would you give to people who are not happy due to circumstances that seem out of their control such as difficult relationship with family members, high stress job, and/or financial stress?
The principles work for everyone regardless of their circumstances, whether they have fallen on hard times of made poor decisions. As mentioned above, the principles make life better than it would otherwise in real time. They can help all of us get through serious challenges we all face. They don’t make life easier or perfect, but they help make it better.
5. In your experience, what are some common characteristics that happy people share/ why are they happy?
Our research shows that happy people practice these concepts naturally, and that unhappy people are not aware of them or not willing to test them in their lives. All you have to do is try them and see what happens.
6. Anything else?
I think life can be better for all of us and helping this happen has become my life’s work.
Michael Glauser is an entrepreneur, business consultant, and university professor. As Executive Director of the Center for Entrepreneurship in the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business at Utah State University, Mike is also the Director of the SEED self-sufficiency program, helping people around the world to improve their standard of living and benefit their communities through entrepreneurship. He is the author of One People One Planet: Six Universal Truths for Being Happy Together.